I'm sure somewhere, there's some 12-step program for people like me. People who can't seem to get rid of things, and think that there's a reason to keep almost anything. Now granted, I'm not as bad as many out there (nor, quite frankly, as bad as I used to be), but for me, it's still a problem. I was walking around my house today looking for a plastic container to sort and store some toys in. I looked from corner to corner and realized that I was using every one that I had and that for quite a few I couldn't even tell you what was in them! I literally have some boxes that have sat unopened in a corner for, oh let's say, probably over a year. Now I know that most people would say (and experts would agree) that if you haven't seen, worn, looked at, etc. whatever it is in over a year it can just be tossed in the trash. Well, I can't do that. I will have to open each box and look through it and therein lies my problem. Once I start looking at everything I'll think of a reason to keep it.
Sometimes it's for personal security reasons, i.e. a computer disk that I can't even use any more (none of my computers have slots for them) that I don't want to just toss because I don't know what's there. Or sometimes it's because it has some sort of sentimental value, but isn't something I can scrapbook. Or maybe I was collecting it for a reason, and now I don't know what to do with it, but I don't want to just throw it away. I really need to start a program where something goes where it's intended to go within the same day as opening it or I don't keep it! But that's so hard! Everything has some sort of meaning to me. And I just hate to get rid of anything. But I really don't like how easily messed the house gets because I'm holding on to things and utilizing both my storage containers and my space to keep things that I know I will probably never use in any way.
And books, I have shelves of them, and some boxes in the garage. I love to read and I'm a re-reader so I don't like to get rid of them. I often take some to the Book Rack where I can trade them in for credit and then get other books, but I also often just keep them and buy them new. Not good for the space or the pocketbook. But I do need to go through them and prepare a pile to take to the book rack.
I also have toys and games that I don't often allow the kids to play with or never use on my infrequent game nights so why do I keep them? If they can't play with them, why are they around? If i know I'm never going to play the game, why keep it? I will, however, say that I have gotten better in not saving the kid's clothes for 'special occasions'. What's the point of buying cute clothes and then saving them, right?
Well, I guess it's time to start sorting and tossing. I just have to do it...right?
1 comments:
I always keep things for sentimental reasons.. And in the end, I find a box, or a tin, or whatever, full of stuff that I would.. "Absoluttttellyyyy Die without!" And yet... I couldn't tell you what is exactly inside of 'that box,' or, 'this tin.' Sadly enough, as I read this post... I was thinking, "I can help her go through stuff! Like the books!" But, tell me this, Why am I so willing to toss your sentimentals, and not my own? Why do we hold on to these things? All of this stuff.... If it matters so much to us, why is it sitting in a box somewhere, forgotten, unopened?
Post a Comment