CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 24, 2011

Let the summer begin!! :)

It's time for camp again and I am both very excited for it to begin and anxiously awaiting its end. I love camp and being able to direct such a wonderful camp for foster kids is so very near and dear to me. But at the same time, this year, I'm really tired. There've been so many changes in my life and so many things I've been wanting to do that the pressure and responsibilities of camp have piled upon me in such a different way from previous years. There was a moment last week when I couldn't imagine directing another camp again. And yet, the idea of not directing camp each year makes me so sad. But deciding to basically go into business for myself, and to work fewer hours means that a) I no longer have paid vacation time; and b) I'm regularly earning less to be able to save for the personal cost of this camp. And given that I don't have paid vacation and/or sick time, if I'm going to take any time off of work, I want to be able to take a vacation with BOTH of my children. It just isn't feasible or ideal to take both kids with me to camp, and I don't want to leave Joshua anymore, so it looks like my time as director of camp is going to be drawing to a close. I don't know when, I'm figuring a year or two more, but I need to start praying some more and listening to see what God has planned for me.

I'm also excited to come back from camp and get to work on the many home projects and tasks that I've been thinking about and planning for. I'm going to be redoing Joshua's room for his entry into 'big boy world' of elementary. I'm going to be using my Cricut and creating some wall art and possibly even some new bedding. I'm going to freshen up the paint in his room, and finally hang his curtains properly, and redo his bookshelf. I'm excited. His room has never been done intentionally for him. When I separated the kids into their own rooms, he got the decorations that were purchased for the room I did to begin accepting foster kids, which were neutral but more boyish overall. Whereas Samantha at that time, got new decorations and bed linens for her girl room. I am also going to create a little something for Samantha's room, but mostly some wall art with her name, I think, as well well as redoing the bookshelf in the garage for her.

I've got some gardening plans, ideas for the rest of the rooms in the house, as well as an extreme itch to make time to be more creative. I want to regularly work on my scrapbooks, do some paper crafting with my Cricut, and my newest desire is to make some hair bows, barrettes, and head bands for Samantha. I can't wait to get some ribbon and supplies and get going. I'm looking forward to having other craft ideas to work on for those days I don't want to lug all my scrapbook supplies to my Scrap & Craft events.

I'm also going to begin scheduling regular activities for us to do in the afternoons this summer. We're signing up for the kid's library reading program and activity program, as well as setting up the pool in the yard to use more regularly (not a very large one (12 ft, I think) but one that uses a little pump/filter so that we can keep it up throughout the summer (we'll see). I've got a new bike and a trailer for Samantha, and we're going to be searching out some bike paths to enjoy, as well as small hikes and what not. I'm so excited to spend more intentional time with my kids. It'll be good for all of us.

And then we're planning a vacation for August during the 1st of 3 weeks between Samantha's summer school program and regular school program. I think we're going to go down to San Diego for a night or two and visit Sea World and possibly Lego Land. I'm not sure we can afford both, so I'm currently looking into it. We're also going to go down to Temecula for a day or two to stay with a friend of mine and her children. Possibly go to the beach for the day, spend some time at the community pool, etc. I'm also signing the kids up for their first set of swimming lessons and looking forward to see how they learn some new skills.

And then there's the start of Joshua's year of kindergarten. I'm so excited for that. Joshua is so smart with so much potential, and I'm eager to see how he grows and learns in school. And to be able to help in the classroom and school will be a fun new experience for me too, I think. So there's lot's to look forward to in the next few months and I'm excited to be at camp and excited to be back. Let the summer begin!!! :)

0 comments: