CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Daniel Fast: Day 1

12:20 p.m.: My Pastor is leading and encouraging a church-wide Daniel Fast for the next 21 days. I have never successfully fasted and have felt like I both wanted to and like I should, but could never figure out how to, or what to, ect., etc. I know at the core, my failure to complete a fast previously has been around two things: 1) having no clear purpose for my fast; and 2) giving up too many things at the same time. This year I'm very excited about this opportunity and am using it to intentionally work on three areas in my faith: 1) increasing my obedience to God; 2) increasing and improving my prayer time; and 3) growing closer to God.

The last time I tried to Daniel fast I knew my spirit was not right for it because I was looking for shortcuts, ways to still eat what I wanted. I was so excited to figure out that popcorn was accepted because it's still corn; or that a potato was cool because it falls in the veggie catagory. Although both those things are true, I knew I was simply looking for easy ways to finish what I started, and if I lost weight at the same time, cool. This time, I'm really focused on doing it right. Not the legalistic right, but the spiritually right. For instance...I should really only have organic, no sugar added peanut butter in the Daniel Fast. However, I have a lot of regular Jif peanut butter. I can't justify buying another jar at this time when I have so much of the other, so I will either go without it for the duration of the fast, or use it sparingly if absolutely needed (although I can't fathom a time with peanut butter will be absolutely necessary).

So today is day one for me. I didn't realize it would be until the middle of service when I just decided that this was it. Most people at the church are starting tomorrow but I'm starting a day early in order to end two days early for my kids birthday party. I may end up continuing through their party, I'll see where the Lord leads me. I got home and it was time to make lunch for the kids. Suddenly I was starving and where previously I would eat the same thing (PB&J and yogurt today) I realized I hadn't planned for anything and needed to wait for them to go down for their naps. I was getting more and more anxious about it, knowing I needed to prep my salad dressing and thinking now what? How can I have a salad at lunch if the dressing hasn't had time to mix...etc., etc. And there it was. The questioning and doubting of this. Anyway, I finished the kids lunch, got them down, and had a banana. I will prep the dressing for later, and have some approved crackers and hummus for now.

I will be doing a post each day with additions at various times. I'm hoping to gain some good insight as I do this and hear from God, so here it goes!

7:40p.m.: Good day overall. I was surprised that I enjoyed the hummus and crackers so much; I may have a little more before the night is over. I made a yummy salad and dressing for dinner and paired it with a plain baked potato. I admit that I am hungry and would like to have something more. But I think that's how it's supposed to be a bit. I'm going to spend some time focusing on God and my reasons for fasting, and then prepare for tomorrow.

0 comments: